Saturday, March 25, 2006
If it was just ignoring the jpgs it would have been OK, but it actually bounces, with "post failed". Of course, the text-only option is available with phplist...
Loving Sairam from the Heart2Heart Team.
How important is gratitude? You will know that when you read Swami's message today.
Sai Inspires - 25th March 2006
| || |
Always be grateful, even for a small help. Do not be ungrateful; ingratitude is utter cruelty. Any help received should be reciprocated to the extent possible. Hurting someone who has helped you will result in your losing your eyesight. It is only through the radiance of the sun that you see things, and the sun withdraws its radiance from those who commit the sin of ingratitude. This is the suffering that an ungrateful person has to undergo. Therefore, we should always be grateful and return help for help, to the utmost extent possible.
- Divine Discourse, 6th May 2002.
First and foremost, you should show gratitude to your parents, love them and respect them. - Baba
Tuesday, March 21, 2006
Recently I had the need to print some stuff with a dot matrix printer (TVS MSP 345) which happens to be "Epson compatible". I wanted to print with the built-in fonts, which are clearer and also print faster. So, I first prepared my pages with a text editor (kwrite) with proper formatting and then applied the extra binary formatting with a hex editor (khexedit). This basically consisted of adding the required control codes (like compressed mode, emphasise text, etc) at the relevant places.
1. The printer took 8 spaces for tabs, had to adjust the text editor accordingly.
2. I'd set the default printer to a "Raw/No driver" printer driver in cups. Probably this is not necessary.
3. My print command was cat filename.txt > /dev/lp0 - I had to do this as root, there may be better ways to do this.
4. Epson codes were obtained after googling, from http://webpages.charter.net/dperr/links/esc_p83.htm
A note about these codes is that you need to send the ESC character for some of them, and not for others. For example, for form feed you just need to send 0c (HEX) while for select condensed mode you need to send 1b 0f (HEX).
Probably some sort of review of such things will be useful for folks. Save them from wasing time and money. Just in case they really work also!
Edit: removed the links since they are "undesirable neighbourhoods" and may cause Google adsense to boycott me!
Sunday, March 19, 2006
virtual.domain anything (right-hand content does not matter)
email@example.com address2, address3
And with the configuration accepting local mails, it was creating some sort of problem with local addresses lookup. So, commented out the
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhostline. It still accepts mails from localhost for local accounts. Then added the actual hostname to the virtual domains, with stuff like mails to apache etc being sent to me!
Saturday, March 18, 2006
tail -f /var/log/mail/errors
One more mystery solved was why nmap was showing port 25 as closed - postfix was listening only on the loopback interface - localhost.
inet_interfaces = allsolved that.
First I thought just copying the main.cf from the older server was the reason. But even replacing it with the main.cf.dist with appropriate modifications didn't solve the problem.
The first one was
fatal: connect #11 to subsystem private/proxymap: Connection refused
and the other, later, was
fatal: connect #11 to subsystem private/scache: Connection refused
Deleting the proxymap socket (present in /var/spool/postfix/private ) only changed the error to file not found.
mksock gave file not found - the mksock util was not in the system at least with that name...
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps
local_recipient_maps = unix:passwd.byname
removed the first error and gave the second one. This one was finally removed by later adding
smtp_connection_cache_on_demand = noOne more thing I'd overlooked was the differing postfix versions needing different commands to update the alias database and the virtual database. This is actually mentioned in the small text at the bottom of the linuxquestions link in small print. Anyway, for the record, they are
Friday, March 17, 2006
Thursday, March 16, 2006
Tuesday, March 14, 2006
Monday, March 13, 2006
2. Open the video in gmplayer, pause at appropriate place(s), take snapshot(s) with ksnapshot, attach in mail and send to Prof G for him to update, including the mms://urlofvideo.wmv
- VideoCD source grab to hard disk as .mpg file using VCDGear
- MiniDV cappture to hard disk, now firewire is available, so Premiere can be used.
- Composite RCA connector capture also possible with VirtualDub.
2. Add www.radiosai.org logo with VirtualDub
- Use the resize filter with Bicubic option to get final size 320x240 with cropping as desired
- Use the logo filter for the watermark, with WHITE.BMP as the logo image and "Use alpha channel from another image", logoMASK.bmp
- Use Video->Compression Huffyuv codec before saving avi.
3. Use the saved profile 350_100_20 with Windows Media Encoder to convert avi to wmv - DO NOT overwrite this file! Choose CANCEL if it asks if you want to save this file at the end!
4. Edit the saved append.bat files appropriately and add begin and end segments to the video using wmvappend.exe.
In case adding the 350_100_20 begin and end files crashes, use separate files for 350, 100 and 20 kbs as given in next step. Ensure profiles match for files being appended!
5. Split the multi-audience file into separate 350, 100 and 20 kbs files using Windows Media Stream Editor.
6. Add appropriate metadata with Windows Media File Editor, in the same format as previous files.
Sunday, March 12, 2006
Saturday, March 11, 2006
1. Choose encoding speed ESS in the bottom drop down in the first page
2. In the page after choosing the specific chain to encode,
(a) Adjust cropping if required using AutoSet on a frame which has no dark parts near the edges
(b) Check "include subpictures" and choose appropriate language for subtitles
(c) If required, crop the end credits by scrolling to the end of the part and clicking "Set credits start"
3. Use auto detect in the next page to choose the proper interlacing settings
4. In the final page,
(a) Check "Two pass" - better quality
(b) Move the Encoding speed slider 75% to the right for quality
(c) Choose size as 175 MB if you have 24 parts - 175 x 24 = 4200, enough space to spare for small extras etc
This is equivalent to approx 700 kBitsps which will be shown in brackets below.
(d) Choose the largest video resolution which is available after "Show only preferred resolutions" is checked.
(e) Defer processing (enqueue) if you want to run a batch job with many files.
(f) Defer even project processing if you want to run multiple projects as batch with iso files as sources for some of them.
Friday, March 10, 2006
RR's Windows machine has some problems with the "Routing and Remote Access" - it seems to automatically change from Red to Green, and when Red, says "Don't have permissions to access" even as admin - some misconfig or virus or what?
Also, the example firewall was not allowing outgoing connects from the proxy thru the external interface. In retrospect, probably I should've created a rule mentioning the external ip address, and allowing all outgoing. Just
So, doing the NATing for POP on the Linux proxy, adding to /etc/sysconfig/iptables
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:PREROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [0:0]
-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.x.z -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
-A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.x.y -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
echo "1" > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
Thursday, March 09, 2006
Update: Read the code, dude - found the simple solution there...
Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Notes on Seagate 7200.9/500GB drive P/Ns with SSC disabled - (from a drive db report)
" In the course of researching a hard drive purchase, I got the following information from Seagate presales support:
"All Seagate 7200.9 SATA drives with the Part Numbers that end in the suffix -301 have SSC enabled and are not compatible with the Apple controllers. (as mentioned previously here - SSC (Spread Spectrum Clocking) is not compatible with the Mac onboard SATA. Seagate also has a PC/windows utility to disable this but not a Mac version of it.-Mike)
All other suffixes other than -301 on the Part Numbers are compatible ( -302, -303,-401, -402 etc).
Here is a list of part number with SSC disabled for ST3500641AS:
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
Monday, March 06, 2006
Sunday, March 05, 2006
seeing if krishna can be used for the sssihl mail forwarding...
Changes to main.cf:
1. #inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
2. the changes as given in the wiki page above, ie.
2 virtual_alias_domains = example.com ...other hosted domains...
3 virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
6 firstname.lastname@example.org postmaster
7 email@example.com joe@somewhere
8 firstname.lastname@example.org jane@somewhere-else
9 # Uncomment entry below to implement a catch-all address
10 # @example.com jim@yet-another-site 11 ...virtual aliases for more domains...
3. Opening port 25 on krishna's firewall
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
<%= %> is shortcut for Response.Write
Default language is VBScript, tho JScript and even Python are supported....
Very useful set of VBScript built-in functions, esp for string processing and date processing.