Sunday, September 24, 2017

updated budget airline flying experience

I had posted in 2007 about flying Air Deccan. Since Air Deccan no longer exists, maybe I should write about my recent trip on Spicejet.

Ticket price was supposed to be Rs. 1600 or so for CCJ to BLR, hand-luggage-only fare. Somewhere in the online booking process, I was charged some more, so it became Rs. 1900. Somewhat comparable to the Rs. 1800 (Tatkal) II AC railway ticket price.

Ticket and ID is required while entering the airport. Security check was relatively hassle-free, no lines when I arrived one hour before my flight time. No tag needed for hand-luggage. CISF personnel insist on paper boarding pass so that they can rubber-stamp it - whether web check-in or normal check-in - so the mobile boarding pass is not of much use. They also asked me to take out electronic items from my bag and put them on a tray for X-ray. The waiting lounge was full of passengers - Air India flight to Mumbai was four hours late, those passengers were being provided with breakfast in the lounge when we were boarding. Low-floor buses to and from the aircraft at both airports, a Cobus 3000 at BLR.

As noted in my previous post, the flight attendants are a bit rushed for time, trying to manage the very short turnaround times. They were doing the safety drill when the aircraft was rolling towards the start of the runway, just completing when it started the takeoff run. The Bombardier Q400 managed the 350 km trip in just 35 to 40 minutes of flying time. Another five minutes for taxiing and so on. A bit of turbulence over the Western Ghats as usual - maybe for five minutes or so. Also a big downdraft just before landing. Otherwise quite smooth.  The pleasant-mannered cabin crew managed to serve pre-booked meals and free water for quite a few passengers during this short flight.

The flight seemed to be full - I had chosen the last row window seat, 20D, for the little bit extra legroom. At nearly six feet, I was reasonably comfortable, with an inch or two to spare between my knees and the seat ahead. But the seat reclines only a couple of inches.

Overall a good experience, with only the taxi fare from the airport being an extra cost as compared to the train journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment