Wednesday, January 04, 2017

Airtel 3G speeds

To add to my Jio speed test posts, here are Airtel 3G speeds 3-4 pm at Puttaparthi - the times are visible in the top left corner. Not too shabby :) and definitely better than Jio during peak times.

And, a few days ago at 8.15 pm, with Airtel dongle,

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

setting up SPF and DKIM with CPanel and WHM

CPanel and WHM make the process of setting up SPF and DKIM fairly straightforward.

To open the CPanel of a particular user from WHM, typing Account in the top left search box shows "List Accounts" - Home -> Account Information -> List Accounts. There, clicking on the CPanel icon opens up CPanel for that user account.

Within CPanel of the relevant domain, typing DKIM brings up the required link - Home -> Email -> Authentication

A single click on that page enables or disables DKIM and or SPF.

(Actually I had run the certificate creation etc using scripts under cpanel running as root user and so on, but most probably all that was not necessary.) 

Wednesday, December 14, 2016

problem with BuTT overwriting recordings

I had entered the wildcard for index as filename%n - but then BuTT was saving a file called filename%n.mp3 and was prompting to overwrite old recordings. 

The correct wildcard for index is %i - and for timestamp, it is %H%M%S - have now changed to %i as given at

Tuesday, December 13, 2016

raw 14-bit images with Canon 1100D

According to wikipedia, our Canon EOS 1100D camera is capable of saving to RAW 14 bit CR2 format!
To convert linearly,
suggests dcraw with the following commandline - 

dcraw -v -4 -H 0 -W -w -q 3 file.nef

below is a command which can be saved as a batch file (filename.bat) which works on Windows XP for linear conversion to tiff, for all files in the folder. Tested working on Windows 8.1 also. 

for /r %%i in (*.CR2) do dcraw -v -4 -H 0 -W -w -q 3 -T %%~nxi

A similar shell script on Linux / Mac would have the following form, adapted from

for f in ~/path/*.CR2
dcraw -v -4 -H 0 -W -w -q 3 -T "$f"

The -T makes dcraw output a TIFF file instead of the default Portable Pixmap PPM file. 

Sunday, December 11, 2016

upgrade to live broadcast system

After five years, the live audio broadcast method at mandir has changed. There were a couple of unexplained random shutdowns of the Macbook Pro, so PB decided to upgrade hardware and software. Current setup uses physical cables instead of JackOSX, and upgraded versions of Reaper and BuTT on a Mac mini running Mac OS Yosemite. Compressor is also hardware - our trusty Behringer MDX2200. Settings were adjusted for fast attack and slow release (1.5 sec). Lots of gain to compensate the compression. Level set to +4dBu and not -10 dBV.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Issues when using Google Docs fonts for Malayalam

When entering Malayalam text with Google docs, Firefox on Windows XP, one cannot choose the font - only one font seems to be available. This font also had issues like showing

instead of
and so on.

So, I used MS Word and the Rachana font instead, which looks good. But this has an issue - chillaksharams are automatically joined to the next letter whenever we save and re-open the document - like
മാര്‍ഗ്ഗത്തില്‍_ഗ്രഹങ്ങള്‍_സഞ്ചരിക്കുന്നതും becomes മാര്‍ഗ്ഗത്തില്‍ഗ്രഹങ്ങള്‍സഞ്ചരിക്കുന്നതും

My workaround was to add the character _ after each such letter, and finally, using the Find and Replace tool, change the font colour for this _ character to white, so that it is not visible.

This issue with web fonts seems to be well documented. Following the advice on the comments on that page, I installed Meera and other fonts given at
After a restart, now I see പ്രകാശം - rendered as
Meera seems to have now become the default on Google Docs and Blogger on Firefox / Chrome, replacing the buggy Windows default Karthika. Now, probably, I can directly write with Google Docs instead. 

Friday, November 04, 2016

How to edit a Hindi document in Google Docs

Copy-pasting from an email sent to one of our collaborators:

I assume that you are using Google docs on a desktop computer. Then, when you click on the links I sent, Google Docs will open up. In the toolbar of google docs, please choose the "Select Input" button, which may be showing a Hindi A letter, as shown in the screenshot below.

Unless you know Hindi typing, the Devanagari phonetic option is the easiest to use. If you choose that option, if you type padaarth, it will give a list of options, and just pressing the spacebar will choose the topmost option, which would be पदार्थ
In case your window is too small, you may need to click twice in order to get to the Select Input button, as shown in the screenshot below - first click on More... and then on the Select Input button.