Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Wikipedia SOS CD - finally made for Sony Reader

As mentioned in my previous post, things are not so easy since the Sony Reader doesn't understand html, and also doesn't follow links to external files. Final solution chosen was HTML2LRF, with each alphabet as a separate file. Each article then gets listed in the Table of Contents of that file.

Nitty-gritty of making the files:
1. cd L:\wpcd\wp\b
2. dir /B > l:\direct.txt.html
3. Open direct.txt.html in Mozilla and copy / paste to wordpad - this removes the carriage-returns.
4. Find/Replace .htm with .htm l:\wpcd\wp\b\
5. Copy / Paste into command prompt which is already in the bin directory of HTML2RTF (otherwise doesn't work) with the suitable -o -t and so on.

Finally uploading to esnips public folder - http://esnips.com/web/Wikipedialrf

And as a single zip file with at badongo.com
Edit: The single zip file no longer available there, will post a new link if and when I get hold of the original file.

2 comments:

  1. Link to zip file no longer works. Any chance of getting an updated version for 2008 in a handy dandy zip file?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, no plans for making a 2008 version. And I did not find the 2007 version either with a quick look on my local machine - I'd made the file for my mother and the ebook reader is currently not with me....

    ReplyDelete