Monday, August 24, 2026

tests of mid-tones brightness reduction on planetarium dome

Tried out reduction of mid-tones using Blender, for reducing the washed-out over-exposed look due to dome reflections. 

For individual textures in a 3D scene, add a RGB Curves node after the texture in Shader Editor. In Blender VSE (Video Sequence Editor), we can add via "Add" menu, choose "Effect Strip," and select "Color" followed by "RGB Curves."

On the M4 Mac Mini, 3840x2160 renders were proceeding at nearly 10 fps from Blender VSE. The output of that was probably not playable smoothly on Raspberry Pi, so ran it through Avidemux with Videotoolbox (GPU assisted) HEVC codec, the default bitrates of 2000 kbps avg and 4000 kbps max are quite low, but quality is fine for simple scenes.

NAVK preferred the previous version of "Unseen Earth" in which I probably either put a mask over the bright parts or left as is - when I reduce mid-tones again, the scene becomes too dark for him. Probably I can redo the overexposed parts of "The Search" with this technique.

No comments:

Post a Comment