Friday, April 05, 2019

testing AppImages on various distros - dd iso to USB

As mentioned in my previous post, I had created an AppImage for distribution a Linux binary. Testing on 3 distros one generation earlier is recommended using chroot. For example,
https://www.pcsuggest.com/setup-a-32-bit-chroot-with-ubuntu-live-cd/

But I found the procedure for creating chroots to be more cumbersome than just dumping the Live distro iso into a USB pen drive, booting another machine from USB, and checking the AppImage on the distro.

1. Since I was on an Ubuntu-based Mint Linux 18.1, it had a "Startup Disk Creator" GUI app for dumping Ubuntu-like Live CD/DVD to USB devices.

2. For Fedora and OpenSuse, I used the following commandline, taking care to note the correct device id like /dev/sdc1 or /dev/sdd1 or whatever using mount,
sudo umount /dev/sdd*
sudo dd if=Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-24-1.2.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=8M status=progress oflag=direct

3. This commandline pattern worked fine for Fedora and OpenSuse, since these isos were meant to work as Live CD/DVDs. So, I did not need to use unetbootin or anything like that for these. Approximately 3 MB per second to my USB drives, which were not very fast. 7-8 minutes to write 1.5 GB. 

No comments:

Post a Comment