Tuesday, August 17, 2021

not booting after timeshift restore

An upgrade from Linux Mint 19.3 to 20 did not end well. dpkg got stuck with some circular dependencies, probably because I had not removed all "foreign" packages before the upgrade. Then tried a fresh install of Linux Mint 20.1 and and upgrade to 20.2. Unfortunately, there seems to be a regression for Macbook support - the screen becomes corrupted after suspend and wake up. 

So, I tried to restore the timeshift backup I had made before the upgrade. That took a couple of hours, since I had backed up 40+ GB of home directory also. But then the system wouldn't boot into that restored partition.
Error message:  Alert: UUID=<whatever> does not exist, dropping to a shell. 



After looking at many places like here and here, finally I thought of checking the refind file boot/refind_linux.conf since I was booting with refind. That immediately showed up the issue. The boot/refind_linux.conf on the relevant partition, /dev/sda3 in this case, was pointing to a different UUID compared to the UUID reported by 
sudo blkid

So I just had to boot into another working Linux installation, edit this file boot/refind_linux.conf on /dev/sda3 with the correct UUIDs, and save it. The next boot worked fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment