Thursday, August 05, 2021

verbose display while booting with rEFInd

The Macbook running Linux Mint 19 was exhibiting some random issues, maybe due to running out of memory, and was needing hard restarts. I wanted to see the results of disk checking while booting, so tried looking up verbose booting options. For GRUB, the advice is to remove the "quiet splash" options from /etc/default/grub

In my case, since I use rEFInd, I edited /boot/refind_linux.conf and removed the quiet splash options. That prevented the logo from being displayed, but still the diagnostic boot text was not being displayed without pressing escape. Then removed the vt.handoff=7 option also because it would be going to the graphics display number 7. So, now it works, with quiet splash vt.handoff=7 removed from the standard options.

"Boot with standard options"  "root=UUID=of-my-disk ro"
"Boot to single-user mode"   "root=UUID=of-my-disk ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7 single"
"Boot with minimal options"   "ro root=UUID=of-my-disk"

No comments:

Post a Comment