Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Creating service account for accessing Google Drive API

There was a request from the developers to create a shared drive for them in our Google Workspace, and to create a service account to access it programmatically.

Accordingly, created a new shared drive (and have added email1 and email2 as managers)

I have created the service account under an existing google cloud project under my (admin) google account (initially created for rclone), and have added Google Drive Api to the project.

The service account is called 
servaccname@projectname.iam.gserviceaccount.com

I have added this account also as a Content Manager on the Shared drive and shared the json key with the dev team.

Shared Drive storage quota - According to google help, a single shared drive can theoretically hold up to 5 TB per file, but it is strictly capped at 500,000 total items (files, folders, and shortcuts). 


I've currently not put any other cap on the storage quota for this shared drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment