Wednesday, July 15, 2026

installed needrestart on Azure VM

I asked one of the LLMs (I forget now which one, ChatGPT, Claude, Gemini or Copilot), 
On one of our ubuntu servers, after sudo apt upgrade, the following line is printed
Running kernel seems to be up-to-date 
(if no kernel update was recently done)
while on another server, the line is not printed even if no kernel update was recently done, and the kernel is up to date. Any ideas on why, and how can I add that message to the second server when running a script to update all servers?

The gist of the answer was that the package needrestart would need to be installed, and that it was not an apt configuration issue.

sudo apt-get install -y needrestart 

Installed it, did not have to do anything further like editing its config file or anything like that, and the message started to appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment