Sunday, April 26, 2020

GCP costs

Following up on my GCP trials post - the Google Cloud Platform gives per second billing in dollars, so we have to do a bit of arithmetic to know how much it's going to cost. For the free trial of $300 (approx Rs. 22,500 in Indian rupees), the question was, will it last one year with my type of usage - which is, using the GCP VM for compiling and other such tasks, shutting it down use.

I downloaded the transactions listed on GCP as a csv. Found that the 150 GB standard persistent disk (divided as Storage Image and PD Capacity) was costing me around Rs. 25 per day. Other resource usage (like cores, network ingress/egress) would depend on how much I'm working on the VM. My maximum usage in a day was around Rs. 500, with 4 cores, 15 GB RAM, left on overnight.

Rs. 2.36 per hour per core x (4 cores) is nearly Rs. 10 per hour.
Rs. 0.3 per hour per GiB x (15 GB RAM) is nearly Rs. 5 per hour.
So, running my VM would be around Rs. 15 per hour.

Network egress around Rs. 5 per GB. But this is the more expensive APAC egress - peering Americas network is lower. Downloading Microsoft's 20 GB VM image did not even show up in the transactions. Maybe it is in the same data centre? My total network related expenses so far this month have been only around Rs. 12 in spite of downloading at least 25 GB of VMs and ISOs.

With minimal usage, Rs. 40 per day - the free credit will last more than a year. So, I can use the VM quite liberally.

Overall, expensive compared to a dedicated server, but attractive when it is a free trial. Thanks, Google.


No comments:

Post a Comment